Saturday, June 20, 2009

I am so excited!


Ok - so for weeks I have had on my to-do list to sew a maternity skirt. I was so intimidated to make the skirt that I never did it. If you know me you know that not crossing it off my list was bugging me BIG time!! Going to the fabric store was challenging enough with the girls but then I could never pick out the fabric, the right amount, etc.

TODAY I did it! I woke up and decided I would do it and if it was a mess than I would know it was not worth it. Ran by the grocery store bought two apples to keep the girls happy in the shopping cart (works every time with my girls). With both girls in the cart and no room for fabric I set out to my neighborhood Joann Fabrics!!

With help by the Joann's lady - who sees me there often and helps me out a lot! I left with $16.00 worth of materials and went home! In the end I bought way too much but I was not sure how this would all pull together!

After washing etc and two hours of sewing - it would have been faster but I pretty much made the pattern and cut it originally WAY to big! This is it! It fits too! I know the white band is a little weird but one of the only church shirts I have is white and I hate seeing the fabric through the shirt!

I am really excited that it worked out and needed to share!! Thanks for indulging me!!! If I get a chance while I am at my mom's this week I am making another - I want to run out now and get more fabric and try again!

P.S. Hattie is wanting me now to work on hers - which is easy - so hopefully it will be done in the next hour!! :)

Follow Up: I wore the skirt today and liked not having to fight with a zipper/bella band combination. I could have made it a little bit smaller and tighter around the belly but I am sure it will be great next month. I like that I made the belly band thick and white because I folded it over and you could not see the band like some maternity skirts dark bands. I was going to wear my white shirt but it is still so big on me that I hate to wear it with a flouncy skirt. I dug through my closet and found a pre-pregnancy pink shirt that matched and still fit so that was a success in itself!! I am ready to tackle another skirt.

Oh Manhattan's skirt was a bust - I should not have tried to make it with Marin's help - I cut it wrong and got frustrated. In the end - it was sacked! We will get more material at my mom's - and will whip one out with more sucess I am sure!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Super cute, Melissa! I wish I was that talented! (I don't even think the white band looks weird!)

The Houston Family said...

Very cute! I want one minus the pregnancy belly part!

Karen said...

I'm totally impressed!! That's not alot coming from me who cannot sew at all. Great job--you are sooo talented!!