Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Martin Luther King Day!

What did you do on Martin Luther King Day?  We decided to take a road trip to Detroit!

Our first stop was Krispy Kreme - yummy!  Before we noticed everyone including Maxwell had inhaled 3 donuts - I know - sugar high!  We got there just as they were shutting off the hot light we got our free hot donut and boy were they good!!  I am trying to get ahead of some winter weight - about 10 lbs - so for WW fans - each donut was about 6 pts and I ate three.  Most of my daily points right there - no big deal but funny when you think about it!

After cleaning up the messy kids we headed to Free Day at Henry Ford museum - so cool!  It is the best museum ever and we love that they offer free days a couple times a year.  It is sort of expensive to take everyone otherwise!  We all wore our school shirts so we would not lose each other - Morgan tolerates my matching shirts when we go somewhere big - I know I will be able to see the kids better - obnoxiuos but it does help me!  It also helps strangers that know my kids belong to me when I have the same shirt - it has come in handy with Maxwell more than once!

We met up with our friend the Empies - yeah!  Our kids love being together!  Makes big adventures so much more fun!  After a couple hours wandering around the museum, climbing in the train, seeing the cars & airplanes, and checking out the wenie mobile!  Manhattan loved that the Museum has the bus that Rosa Parks sat on - I think that is one of her favorite sections - the civil right's section - so fascinating to her!  Maxwell & Marin loved the train & airplanes most!  So fun!

We made it out to the car for lunch - everyone was on a sugar crash I am afraid!  Our next stop was IKEA for a few things - some days we enjoy wandering but today was an in and out trip - Maxwell's meltdown made the trip super fast!


We had some extra friends in the car - Flat Lane & Flat Axel who are visiting us from Warrenton, Oregon.  We have been trying to get lots of pictures of them doing stuff with us before we send them back home this week!

We made it home with no tragedies but we were a little tired!  Fun day - thanks to a little driving, sugar, and a whole lot of history!

2 comments:

The Houston Family said...

Fun! I love Ikea. Someday I will move back to civilization and live near one again.

Malie said...

Mmmmmm. I miss Krispy Kremes. Probably a good thing for me there isn't one here that's easily accessible. Thank goodness for flex points huh.