Monday, June 20, 2011

Family Day Saturday

We started our morning with an early "Father's Day" breakfast in bed.  The kids love to do that but with early church on Sunday it is just no that realistic so I decided we would do it on Saturday.  I would like to say Morgan was surprised but Manhattan had hinted towards it the night before by telling him to "sleep in a long time".  Subtlety is not a skill our children have mastered!  Due to church and Morgan having to work on Sunday we decided to celebrate Father's Day that day more or less.  First we honored another good man that touched our lives.

Maxwell & Marin waiting the leave for service and enjoying the scenery after the service was over!  What is with their smiles - nothing simple, always crazy!
 Many of you know that our neighbor, Stan passed away the day after Christmas (December 26, 2010) last year. His wife was left to make decisions on her own pertaining to his funeral etc.  She decided not to list an obituary or have a funeral.  We were sad to hear that was her decision because he deserved something.  Don't get me wrong, he drove me nuts many many days but he deserved a proper burial and a tribute to the man he was.  I have to admit that I have thought of him frequently as the weather has warmed up.  He used to be out by the fence or even walk over to watch as we planted our garden, filled the swimming pool, cleaned out the garage from winter, etc.  There was no one to  tell me that I should mow slower in the springtime or hang metal pie tins over our garden to keep away  the birds - yes I remember the advice but no I am not good and doing what I am told.

Last month, his wife was not doing well and she had to be moved to an assisted living home.  Stan's brother, his wife, and their family helped to make the burial service happen this last weekend.  It was very nice and simple.  There was quite a few people there - those that we had contacted (neighbors & past friends) and some family members.  I really enjoyed the simple service of dedicating the grave and giving honor to Stan.  We were the only ones there with little kids and of course they were a little wiggly during the service - we all were standing around the burial spot and urn.  In the end we decided that Stan would not have minded as he always enjoyed being out watching the kids play.  In the end, it was a beautiful day with a lovely service.  I am so glad that we had something to honor him.  As we left all I could think of was that he was a humble man, this was a humble service but that he deserved more recognition for the things he did for others.  I know that recognition is not everything especially as we leave this existence and join our Heavenly Father but I also hope that he smiles when I think of the good, bad, and crazy times of having him as a neighbor. Soon enough we will have a new neighbor to share the fence with and that could be worse!  :)


After the service, we ran home and changed our clothes, ran to Subway and had a picnic lunch.  It was wonderful time and really enjoyed the weather.  The kids were thrilled that I finally gave into their begging and mastered "underdog pushes" on the swings.  They love them and Morgan does them but I had refused - I have no skill and I would likely send them flying off the swings breaking a leg and worse crashing them into another unsuspecting child.  Oh well, they won and I am getting better and throwing them straight up and getting out of the way.  I do love the pure laughter I hear every time I do it!

We ended the day pulling together a ok spring photo (it is so much harder than it looks) and dinner with some new friends of the ward - we love new move ins in the ward - always fun! 

No comments: