Saturday, April 09, 2011

Minor Procedure - Major Drama

Drama for this Mama!  Maxwell had to have a minor "surgery" to clear his left eye tear duct canals.  It was no big deal.  He was doing fabulous - survived a change in morning routine with no milk or breakfast, took a nap in the car along the way, made it to the appt, and got checked in.,  Morgan took him back and changed into some fun yellow scrubs (wish I could have kept them).  He looked so little in them.  I did not get any great pictures but they were cute.  The surgery staff even had a cute little bear for him.  He was all ready to go - of course he did not know he was "going" anywhere.  The doctors spoke with us some to make sure we had no questions and then the nurse came and got him.  Our doctor even marked his eye - totally wanted a picture of that - so funny - you can barely see it! 

The next part - I was not prepared for this - I thought we would stay with him until he fell asleep.  When they took him back between the double - my heart broke! We gave him a kiss goodbye and he was fine until they turned the corner and he screamed, not a mad scream but a scared sad scream and I about cried.  I know, I know.  I have complete confidence in the nurses (one of which Morgan knew) and the doctor but he was so little and he was scared.  It was heartbreaking.  I am sure he was a maniac until they had him under because he can get a little worked up when he is upset.   Morgan and I went out to the waiting room - he was so calm!  Thank heavens for Morgan.

It was a super fast procedure (total 45 minutes away from us) that was halfway successful - he may need something else done to open his lower left tear duct canal. We will see about that later!  After the doctor spoke to us we waited and they called us back to be with him.  The nurse says to me, "do you have a cup or something?  He is a little upset?"  No kidding - I could hear him hollering as soon as the door swung open - we could not get to him fast enough.  When he saw us he went even more crazy.  After some milk & juice he calmed down just in time to throw up everything all over both of us.  The nurses got me some clean scrubs and Morgan changed Maxwell into his own clothes - finally he was calm. 

All the way home Morgan and I tried to get him to smile at us - no luck - he knew what we had done and he was irritated at us!  We pulled through the pharmacy drive in and he threw up again.  Back at home, we took baths and got into clean clothes.  About this time, Maxwell perked up and was no worse off.  As I called my friend to check on Marin he was jumping on the couch!  :)

We picked up Marin a little while later - our friends, the Empies bought him a Sports balloon and made cookies for him!  He was so happy!  He still is trying to eat while holding his ball balloon this afternoon!

All I can say is that it was not horrible but I am not looking forward to ever doing that again.  How my friends have survived when their children have had multiple surgeries that are life threatening and totally scary.  I admit to being a complete ninny when it comes to my kids!  So to all my friends that have children that have had multiple life saving surgeries (Miss Margaret Susan)  - I always had respect for you but now I honor you as "tough as nails, and calm as the sea".  You are amazing!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What? I totally didn't know this was going on!? Why didn't you tell me? I totally would have offered to help and watch the kids or something. Do you guys need anything? I'd be happy to bring over some treats or something ... Please call if you need ANYTHING! I hope the little man is doing well.

The Houston Family said...

:( Just so you know, the minor surgeries are a lot harder to sit through. When it is major and life threatening you know it has to be done and you are thankful it is getting done. When it is minor you wonder if you are doing the right thing. No matter what it is never easy watching kids go through THAT door. Glad it is over for you!

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea about all this. My heart went out to him, and you, too, though I'm glad it's nothing major. He is just too adorable, Melissa! When your darling little toddler looks at you like you've "betrayed" him, it's the worst. But I'm glad you all survived. Hope this week is less dramatic!