Saturday, May 30, 2009

If you lived in Ohio!

Now that we have entered into the world of chapter books I am constantly trying to figure out what Hattie might like and what is a book appropriate for her. She is a high reader but sometimes the content of those books are too high for her! My friend had this great Scholastic widget (see the bottom). I decided to add it to my blog so I had access to it anytime I needed it.

Today we are going to the main library in search of The American Girl books and Magic Tree House reference books. I love that she is a great reader. She tends to get "into" books and then reads everyone in that series. We have tapped out the Rainbow Magic Fairies (I even had some books shipped from Australia for Christmas since she had read all the US released ones). Now she is into The American Girl books, Geronimo Stilton, and Magic Tree House - thankfully there are tons of books in all three of those series so she will be busy for a while!!

If you have some book suggestions for her or for family read-a-louds from your youth - comment - we would love to know what you loved as a child! We liked to read-a-loud as a family in the summer especially when we go camping! Yeah!

The reason for the blog title - if you were coming with us to the Main Library today you would wish you lived in Toledo. We have the BEST library system in Toledo. I am not joking - it is the most amazing library system and the Main Library downtown is a field trip in itself. I am charging the batteries to my camera so I will try to get some pictures. We used to go a lot when Hattie was little but now we just go to our close branch which even that is great! Our library system has 18 branches. You can go online and search for books/videos - have them delivered to the library closest to you and then return them to which ever branch you are closest too! All our friends that have moved away always say "Toledo has the BEST library system!" One bonus for Toledo. I am excited that the summer reading program starts on June 8th - also a great summer activity!!

I think the rest of the day we are hitting some more great parts of Toledo - the library, our house for lunch and naptime, the metroparks for a picnic dinner, and ice cream at Handels to end the day! I am looking forward to a day just us!!

Maybe I will post some information for my local friends on the best things to do in Toledo for the summer - or maybe that will just make our friends that have moved away sad! Have a great Saturday! :)

3 comments:

CANDACE said...

With two hands in the air I enthusiastically recommend the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They've also branched out into different series about Ma when she was younger & also about her daughter Rose. I haven't read those ones but I have DEVOURED the Laura books many many many times since I started reading them. My copies are WORN OUT & falling apart from love. Definitely great family read-alouds. I also have the Disney movie if y'all want to borrow that.

erin said...

Okay I put out a request like this for Oliver. He is a little bit older and obviously a boy-- However here are some books my boys are enjoying. Encyclopedia Brown, Flat Stanley, or Clemetine. I also like to try new authors. Kate DiCamillo is a good one. One other idea is to get the award list-- Newbery and such to look at past winners.

The Houston Family said...

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

This is a book list from a christian classical education homeschool site so you know the books are not R rated. It is divided by age groups etc. I would suggest some classics and start introducing her to "literature". Here are some of my favs. Anne of Green Gables series, anything loisa may alcott, little house series-including the ones about Laura's ma and the ones about Rose. look for Childrens versions of things like the illiad. I am big on the gaps in public education right now (the gaps are HUGE in my local school system so i need to fill them in but that is another story!) Happy searching!