Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Part 2

Augh, I just spent an hour on a post and it was lost - trying again!!


Merry Christmas!

We were so thankful this year to have Morgan with us!  He had to work until 3 in the am and was the oncall person for the morning shift if it got busy!  Thankfully he was not called in but he hardly got any sleep - 2 hours before the kids started waking - we dragged it out until 6 am but they were ready to go.  Up for Christmas am and then he slept about 1.5 hour before our annual breakfast, and then he showered and was off to work again!  I am sure he will sleep all day today!  At least I hope he will!

We were thankful for the visit from Santa - he brought a bike shop and a Technic lego set for Hattie, the Arctic Set for Maxwell, and an art set for Marin (with lots of paper).  The kids were so excited for the arrival of Santa and his annual deliver of crazy sugar cereal (that mom never buys) - this year we got some crazy ones that they can't want to try this am!

It was fun this year to see our kids get more excited about what they were giving - they could not wait to share their gifts with their family (well, except Maxwell - he is so impatient :).  Marin was so happy that she made me a calendar at school (it was the first gift we opened), Manhattan was so excited to give Marin & I some beaded jewelry she had bought, Maxwell was really excited to give Marin the big bags of jelly beans he bought her (and yes, they ate them both yesterday - yuck!) I actually was not much better - I couldn't wait to give Manhattan the Studio C shirt her dad and I had made.   She loves Studio C and there is not much out their as far as posters or shirts so we made one - it turned out great!  I was also excited to give Morgan his new tie rack - weird I know but this man has a lot of ties - he will have to wear them at his new job in February and I wanted him to be able to see them when he was getting dressed everyday!  I am not sure what Morgan's favorite gift was that he gave (and I am not waking him to ask him!).  They received so many wonderful gifts & toys and we are thankful for those that thought of us and shared! 

After the present destruction was done, I started making our annual brunch.  This year we had Aunt MJ and the 4 missionaries serving in our ward.  We are so thankful that we have a much bigger eating area so we can invite more people in our home - I love it!!  I pulled off our traditional brunch of Swedish rosettes, deviled eggs, pumpkin bread, fresh pineapple, sausage, and a variety of juices (my kids get so excited when we pull out the juice :).  I was fought with the rosettes as I traditionally do but all the while I was thinking - my parents & my brothers' will all be doing these for the family - I can do it too!  I love that part of Christmas - every year even though I am so homesick - I know that in Nenana, Alaska & Kennewick, WA, and Warrenton, OR - at least three other Smiths will be burning their hands, wearing powdered sugar all over their clothes, and smelling up their kitchens!  This last week I felt so teary for my family - they always make me crazy but I miss them.  It was fun to hear that they were making breakfast for their families just like I was.  It is those little traditions that I hang onto even 22 years after leaving home :)

Anyways, brunch was a big hit and it was followed by a snowball fight in the basement with the missionaries - I think our kids gave them a run for the their money - they all came up exhausted! Between the fabric snowballs and nerf guns - I don't think we will ever use our basement for anything more than a big open space!!

Morgan headed back to work and the kids and I enjoyed a relaxing afternoon and evening!  We played legos, games, more legos, and even talked with some family.  At one point I could not find Marin - I was really started to get worried when I realized she had fallen asleep on the couch.  I could not see her with all the blankets piled up.  While I was cleaning up brunch, they had watched the Disney Christmas parade and she had totally fallen asleep and today she is the only one still asleep at almost 8 am - she was worn out!

Bedtime came right at 8 pm with no real complaints - I think the excited had worn them all out!  At the end of the day, I was sad to see Christmas over.  I think I enjoyed the holiday a lot this year - even though it was busy, I did not get crazed out making a million cookies, delivering gifts to everyone we knew, but we were able to donate a lot and that made it fun!  We did not do everything on the "list" that I wanted to do - we forgot some traditions like reindeer food but we pulled it off!

When the missionaries asked the kids "What was your favorite part of Christmas?"  Maxwell said - "I like that Christmas is about Jesus' birth".  Thank you Heavenly Father, that my kids received the true message of Christmas even though we didn't do anything elaborate and I felt like I missed a lot of opportunities to focus on the Savior - they still got it!

We are so thankful for the fun, excitement, and beauty that Christmas lights, decorations, and gift giving bring.  BUT we are more thankful for the spirit that comes when we think of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and that moment that began a wonderful period on earth.  He is our Elder Brother, he is our Savior, he is the light of the world and if we open our hearts we can keep his Spirit with him all year!

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: