Saturday, November 01, 2014

Happy Halloween 2014

 Happy Halloween!!


Every great Halloween week begins with carving pumpkins!  We always look forward to this night!  Manhattan has gotten to the point that she carves her own - she does a great job!  For the second year in a row, Maxwell has chosen to use the bat shapes.  Marin sucked Morgan into making an amazing Elsa pumpkin - it turned out beautifully!  

I love the smell of carved pumpkins - no one ever wants to roast the seeds or eat the fresh pumpkin but I love the smell.  It reminds me of carving pumpkins with my parents - laying out the newspaper and fighting with my brothers over what shapes to carve.  I am sure it was crazy for my parents but it is a great memory!  We had all the whining about how messy the insides are (see Maxwell trying to dump it all into the trash - he refused to dig it out with the spoon - big weeny) and Marin's impatience for her design to be done (of course she did not help - it was very detailed - she was so excited) and Manhattan's diligence in making her pumpkin just right (getting those eyes even is hard - easier to make them crazy eyes I think)!


Halloween Day came in a cold and rainy way!  Maxwell's preschool parade was brought indoors for the second year in a row - he only remembers them being inside so no tears there.  He and Mason were R2D2 and Darth Vader - super cute together in their costumes!  Maxwell's costume was a major win this year - our Empie friends gave him the hat, I bought the sweatshirt, and he was wearing a pair of R2D2 pajamas underneath - warm and he continues to wear them daily!!  


Thankfully, we had two other Halloween events to go to before the cold night - a school party and a church party!  Manhattan was a peacock - an awesome costume if I do say so myself (I made the tutu and tail feathers)!  Marin was Elsa (I bought all the fabric and was ready to sew hers but my machine "ate" the fabric for the skirt - so instead of continuing to fight (cry) with that sewing machine - I ordered a super cute (and cheaper one online).  All the costumes were fabulous and even with the cold night we had a great night!

No comments: