Thursday, August 29, 2013

Super Excited!


When I was little I remember my grandparents measuring us on their hallway door when we came to visit.  It had my uncles & aunts and all of us cousins on that door.  My parents also had the same tradition in their house.  When my grandparents died and the house was sold the door was removed and went with my uncle & aunt so it would not be lost.

I have seen these rulers recently on etsy, pinterest, and even friend's house.  I really wanted to buy one for our family!  Morgan convinced me it would not be hard to make and my friend, Lindsey and I went at it.  I decided to make mine a little smaller than some I had seen because I wanted it to be in the hallway - it is the perfect spot!

We went to home depot and picked out some wood (after calling my dad for his expertise about the type of wood I should buy etc.) and then we sanded and stained!  My friend bought one kind of wood and left it natural.  I bought a harder type wood, conditioned, and and stained it.  I ordered the vinyl from http://www.etsy.com/people/rgedeon.  I especially love the top part!  She had other options but this was my favorite!  After we placed the vinyl, which was very easy.  We spray a finish on it and we were ready to hang it!  Morgan helped me put it up (a little tricky) and we measured away!  I actually looked up all the kids height including the birth length and added those.  It is really fun to see how much they have grown since they were born.  Morgan and I got into the act of measuring and we came out the same!  Gotta love that!

I am super excited about this and love to show it off to everyone that comes over!  I have two friends in the process of making theirs.  I am trying to figure out how to make these for Christmas presents and maybe baby shower gifts.  Next project is mastering the Silhouette machine with Lindsey so we can do it all ourselves!

I can't wait to measure the kids on their birthdays every year and then happily pass it on to them when we are done on this earth.  I guess the question is - who will get it?  Oh no! :)

No comments: