Monday, October 25, 2010

I am so grateful!

I am so grateful that I know our Heavenly Father's plan for us.  I am so grateful that I know that we will see one another after we leave this earth.  I am so grateful that I can teach our children about our Heavenly Father's plan of eternal life, that this life is just a short time, and that we will see those we love again.

We found out this morning that our good friend, Uncle Tom died.  I can honestly say I was more joyful than sad when I heard.  I was more relieved than distressed.  I am so grateful that he is free from his ailing body. 

I am so grateful he was our neighbor, family, and friend for all 8 years that we knew him.  I am grateful that I talked with Tom that first time at his garage sale, that he welcome us into his home, that he returned to activity at church, honored us by letting us be in the temple with him, and treating us like family.  I look back and laugh about that first meeting at the garage sale because Saturday we were honored to do an Estate Sale & close his home for him.  Our relationship began and closed at a garage sale.  I really love that!

I had to post today and be grateful because even though I am sad  - I am so joyful!  Thank you Uncle Tom for your kindness, love, and generosity.  You were a great man that has touched our family for the better.  Our little church family will not be the same without you.  We will miss you so much.

5 comments:

M1 (Morgan) said...

Tom was a great friend. I am greatful that we got to have be a part of our life here in Toledo. I am sad but greatful for his life and the example he was to me.

Karen said...

Thanks for posting this, Melissa! Tom was a great man & perfect example of kindness. He always had a smile for his church family (even though he was suffering). I am also glad to have known him & look forward to the day when we shall meet again :)

The Busy Burnham Bunch said...

Melissa-
What a nice tribute to your "Uncle Tom". I am sure that he was lucky to have you as his neighbor.

Carolyn said...

I'm going to miss Tom!

I won't say sorry for your loss but sorry for the void that will be left because he's not there to fill it. I'm sure he was equally thankful for your part in his life.

Jennifer said...

Isn't it wonderful when people who could have been strangers end up being dear friends? I'm glad you had such a neat experience with this man.