Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Island Adventure to Put-In-Bay

Saturday, August 9, 2008

We started our adventure by boarding the Miller Ferry to ferry over Lake Erie and land on South Bass Island. On the way over we were able to sit on the top of the ferry and Marin and Hattie loved the seagulls that hovered close to us. Marin practically fell over with excitement for all the birds following the boat!When we got off we decided we would walk to the downtown, Put-In-Bay. Morgan has figured it would be about a 2 mile walk - no problem. Our first hint should have been when all the people on the boat flooded to the golf cart rentals and we were the ONLY ones walking. I am not exaggerating, we were the ONLY ones walking. So there we were walking along the street while everyone zipped by in taxi, buses, and golf carts. About halfway there one of us said "we should have grab a ride on the bus" Hattie's response was "once we start something, we finish it, that is how our family does it!" My mom looked back and laughed (we were all walking single file with Marin in the backpack). So we journeyed on (with lots of carts passing us by)!
Needless to say we made it to the downtown and it really wasn't that bad of a walk! We lunched on Subway in the downtown park and then toured the Perry Memorial Visitors Center. Hattie and Morgan went up to the top of the Memorial and it was beautiful! Grandma, Marin, and I waited downstairs. When Hattie came down she was so excited by how beautiful it was and that we really should have gone with her. Morgan and Hattie made this video for us!


Just a side note here: No - I did not go up - I have a fear of small places (caves, enclosed small areas where lots of people stand in lines and lines - like this place) and it is really irritating. For all you that have no fears - please feel free to tsk, tsk me or scoff. For those of you that have some fear that drives you and your loved ones crazy - I am with you! It always frustrates me but I succumb to it every time. I just try to hid it from my kids - I know some day they will connect that I miss out on some of the things that they think are so cool (caves). Just a grumble about myself!
After Perry's Memorial, we visited one of my favorite store - Del Sol. They sell color-change nail polish that Hattie and I LOVE. We went for the silver sparkle that turns red. We love it and are both delighted every time we see it change in the sunlight -
such small things that make us happy!!
It was getting to late afternoon and we were starting to drag so we thought we would get a cart to finish our sight seeing and to get us to the bus. There were none to be found! That is why everyone grabbed them when they arrived and parked them all day. We just kept thinking about the money we could save by walking so we kept walking!!! We made it to the Chocolate Museum (nope - not that exciting - just a small basement ice cream parlor) of course it was good enough for a break with ice cream. Marin had fallen asleep by this time but her head jerked up as soon as I had the first bite of that ice cream!
To end our day Hattie wanted to go miniature golfing so we headed to Perry's Cave (an expensive activity area). I had a pretty good feeling that she would change her mind about the golfing once we got there. This place had "GEM MINING". As soon as Hattie saw this she was sold. She went and bought a bag of dirt and then "mined it' in the water troughs in the front of the store. Well, worth the wait and well worth the money. She was so excited and it was so much more fun that a long drawn out golf game! Along with the bag of dirt was a gem identifier card. Hattie got lots of great gems (emeralds, moonstones, ruby, etc). It was pretty fun to watch her and how excited she got every time she shook the dirt!
Well, it is the end of the day and we still have to walk to the ferry. We passed by some cool grape vineyards for the local winery. Hattie had never seen grapes on a vine so that was kinda fun to show her. We were all getting a little tired and ready to be done. We walked and walked and walked - just like little pioneer children. We made it to the ferry with smiles on our faces (no I am not kidding, it was actually pretty nice weather and kinda fun!).
We boarded a very crowded ferry to get back home. As we loaded on the lake was getting choppy. When the ferry left the dock we were at the front, within five minutes water was splashing us, we were running to the back, Marin was crying, and we were all wet. A nice gentleman offered his coat to the girls and we all sat on the floor and rode out the bumping ferry ride. It was definetly not as smooth as the way there. As we docked the storm came in and we got soaked! Morgan was the most wet - he had to run and get the car!

Overall, it was a great trip! We had so much fun, we walked 6 miles, mined for gems, got color change nail polish, and even got a rocky ferry ride!!!

4 comments:

Kim Tafua said...

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful day you had! I look at all the things you get to do as a family, all the places you visit, the traveling you get to do. I have to admit that I'm a little jealous... What great memories you're making together as a family! It reminds me of the Virginia years. I'd love to come out that way one day! Excellent video Morgan! I also love that I got to see how beautiful it was up there!

Kim Tafua said...

I forgot to say that I'd really like a picture of all your newly chiseled calves since you got such a workout in your walking. Kudos to Manhattan for making you stick it out as a family!

Malie said...

How fun!! My girls would love that nail polish.

Jen said...

I am so jealous. All the fun you've had this summer makes the Burts miss thier little home in Toledo. I'm sure I'll be doubly envious once autumn hits. Have fun!